If a student must bring a cell phone to school:
- It is to be stored in their locker until they pack to leave school grounds. In the event that there is an emergency, or significant reason for a student to use their cell phone after school hours, they may do so with the direct permission of the adult in charge. With permission, students are to use school land-lines during the school day.
- Cell phones that come on school property are not considered private while on school grounds and may be confiscated and searched if there is reason to believe that the Social Media and Student Cell Phone Policy has been broken.
- Should a cell phone be confiscated on school grounds out of concern that the student has been involved in cyber-bullying or the harassment of another student or staff member, students will be required to provide administration access to accounts for a search.
- Use of cell phones for social media purposes, whether on or off school grounds, that creates a hostile environment interfering with education will be investigated and the appropriate action taken by administration.
- Should a social media message that occurred outside of school hours affect the ability of teachers to teach, or affect the ability of students to learn, the cell phone in question will be confiscated and searched.
- Should a student decide to use their cell phone during the school day, it will be confiscated and given to the principal until the close of the school day. The first offense is a conduct slip, the second offense will require that a parent come to the school office to retrieve the phone and the student will receive detention. Additional offenses will follow the school discipline policy and may result in suspension and/or expulsion.